Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How Great Thou Art


I've been thinking, God. Yes, we both know how dangerous that is, but I couldn't help myself.

I listen to people, I mean really listen. One thing I notice is speech patterns. It's amazing the number of people who say, "Thank God," for this or that. And that got me to wondering. Do they really? And if they do, how?

I look out over the landscape and the skies and into the deep dark of the night and I wonder what kind of Creator I would have been. There are times I think I have quite the imagination, but I never would have thought of one iota of what you have created. In consideration of that, you deserve much more than thanks, but thanks at the very least.

Would I have thought of separating day and night or even thought of them to begin with? So wondrous is the daylight to feel the warmth of your love. And the black of night is perfect for restful sleep.

And the seasons! Would I have thought of the beauty of flowers in the spring and summer along with its soothing heat? Winter is so beautiful, just right for skiing and sledding. And for those who couldn't take the cold... they could move south to a warmer climate.

Would I have thought of color? And if I had, would I have made the sky blue? (It's not one of my favorites, but then you already know that.) And then there's that perfect splash of color you use in the sky that displays all your radiance - the rainbow. What a nice touch.



Could I have had the foresight to know that water should be so abundant? It is, after all, the lifesource. I especially love the idea of rain that comes out of nowhere it seems and in such crystal clear droplets. I wouldn't have thought of winter rainfall coming as unique hexagonal delicate snowflakes that's for sure. And in white! I love that the snow covers everything giving the whole land a purity we seldom get to experience.

Would I have known that the lush greenery and healthful fruits and vegetables would not only have been for the eye's pleasure but all a form of sustenance? I think not.

And as animal life was formed (if only I could have thought of it), should I have given thought to how they would help in the reproduction of plant life as they carried the pollen on their bodies? I probably would have been to busy to think of that.

And if I could have brought other animals into being, would I have created them for their beauty alone or would I have seen the need for further nourishment both for animals and the humans that would come? And would I have given them their keen senses to be crafty enough to evade capture? And would I have known to make docile species that would provide us with milk and eggs and the other kinds that would be special companions to us to keep us from being lonely?


And once I had this self-sustaining sphere hung in the heavens at the precise point it should be, could I have known that a being so special, so precious would have to be made to enjoy it all? This being would need to have a unique brain capable of reason to be able to use to its best advantage all that it was given. And it would need a twinkle of creativity to influence its own world.

Would I have known to give humanity free will to dictate its own future and, if necessary to the individual, choose to do wrong? Could I have known that there would be so many who do not appreciate all that they have been so freely given? Could I have lived with what seems like utter failure on many of their parts? Or would I have considered it failure on my part?

As awe-inspiring as this universe is, could I have remained anonymous refusing any recognition for all that I had done? Shamefully, I have to say no.

And yet for all that You have given us, for all the beauty, comfort and inspiration, how do we thank you? My euphoria fades. We have done nothing to honor your great gift. We squander our inheritance like reckless children and still whine every chance we get.

The sustenance you have given us is dwindling as this orb's overpopulation greedily eats it up. Farmlands are dying out. Wilderness areas are becoming all the more encroached upon. Natural resources are becoming exhausted. And your carefully considered balances are spinning wildly out of control.

Species go extinct every day. Crops are diminishing. Our air is stale and foul and soon to be unable to sustain us. The sea is filled with garbage. Our water is no longer pure. And to whom do we seek a solution? The very beings to whom you have given stewardship, those who allowed the destruction in the first place.

I weep. I am ashamed of us, for us.

And yet, in spite of it all... Each and every day I awake to Your Glory. It is a clear sign to me that You haven't given up on us yet. And for that alone... I Thank You. How great thou art.

0 comments: