Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Power of the Rose


Hello God...

I just wrote a note to a friend. I signed it with my new name, SallyRose. I sat back and just looked at it sitting there on the page, how the letters all fit just right, and how I felt so lost before I knew it.

The other name was harsh and hard. It never fit. But I didn't know what to do to feel true to myself. And then that moment happened. Remember? A misreading on the part of that same friend. I corrected them, but still they insisted that they had read SallyRose. They went to look at a piece I had written and came back stunned over what they had found.

Some time passed and I knew if I were to try to get published I couldn't go with the original name. But what then? And the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to fit... SallyRose, SallyRose....

I thank you for that glitch in time, God. I thank you for my friend. I thank you for the misreading. I thank you for the change in me since I adopted the new name. They were right. I can still have strength without having to have that hard name.

Long live the power of the rose!

0 comments: